Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Cutting Edge: What NOT to do with scissors!!

We moms know that when our kids reach about the 2 year mark, everything becomes 'me do it.' It was no different at our house. Then around 3 to 3 1/2, they really do become pretty independent....they can get themselves to the restroom (usually), dress and undress themselves, follow directions (usually). I have given my girls a lot of responsibility especially since Mylie has been born. They get themselves up in the morning, making their own beds, dressed, sometimes even making their own waffles. However, I have never given them the responsibility of cutting their own hair. Maysen, though, took it upon herself to get a new 'do.

We've been on vacation, you know, to 'Boji. We had a great time, stayed up too late many nights, ate junk food and candy all week, and skipped naps on days we know we shouldn't have....but we were on vacation. (I will have pictures and more details towards the end of this post). Now we're home, and tired. I've done the laundry, unpacked, and got groceries to make us feel settled back in at home. Yesterday, I knew we all needed a nap. I'm in the process of sleep training Mylie. She's doing great, almost making it too easy for me (yes, mom, I know I shouldn't say that out loud and I should definitely knock on wood for doing so). Miraculously, I got all three girls down for a nap AT THE SAME TIME!!! This NEVER happens. Of course, like any mom would do, I laid down myself.....I probably needed a nap more than any of them :) After about 45 minutes, they asked if they could get up. I knew they hadn't slept yet so I asked them to continue laying down a little longer. A bit later, I heard someone in the bathroom, but didn't think anything of it. The light went back off, and things got quiet again. I know, I know, that should have tipped me off. Then I heard someone in the kitchen so I got up to check things out. The first thing I saw was a lock of hair on the kitchen floor and the next 5 minutes are pretty blurry. I got pretty mad, and she knew it. She cried. She got a time out. Then I settled down and we talked. I mean, I know it's just hair....it really is just hair, and it could have been so much worse. My main point in getting mad (besides that I still didn't get that nap I desperately needed) was that I never want this to happen again. It wasn't until about an hour later, I really knew how much she cut off. She cut some in the kitchen, some in the bathroom, and some in her bed so the hair was literally all over the house. She cut a big chunk off near each ear leaving it long (and mullet-like) in the back. I assume simply because she couldn't reach it.



Today, I took her to get it cleaned up. It's short. It's cute. And it's what she wanted. On the way home, I said...'Do we all understand that we don't cut our own hair? If you want it short or cut differently, all you have to do is ask mommy? Ok?' Maysen's response: 'OK! Geez, Mommy, we've been hearing you for a lot of days now.' She has told me (in a nicer voice) about a dozen times now 'I won't do that again, mommy, I promise.'



As for 'Boji, it was great as I said. There was a lot of time spent on the boat and swimming in the lake. Myah and Maysen could have spent all day every day in the lake (and they pretty much did). Mylie even got a few rides. Not rides, really.....more like floating time. I only took her on the boat if we were going to be floating and swimming straight out from the dock near our lake house.




We made another visit to Arnold's Park with the season passes and they got to go on the trampoline again.


There's a family of wild turkeys that cross our property a few times each day. They are pretty fun to watch.


Now that we are home again, I'm sleep training Mylie, and she got her first 1/2 tablespoon of cereal. She enjoyed it, and I know she'll have the spoon thing figured out in no time.


I'm sure something exciting will be happening around here soon. What's going on in your neck of the woods??

3 comments:

  1. What is sleep training? I feel all of a sudden as if I missed something...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I absolutely LOVE her short haircut :) Sorry you had to experience it the way it happened! Gotta love being a mom somedays. Does Maya want her hair shorter now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really too funny. But we'll be able to tell the girls apart easier now with Maysen's short hair, and maybe Myah will get those pink streaks. :)

    ReplyDelete