Thursday, May 27, 2010

Incident Report....

I knew summer was here when I signed that first incident report three weeks ago. You know, the one that says your child forgot how to run in sandals and fell and scrapped her knee....well, six incident reports later, I'm ready to be done with them for the summer....it might be a long summer! Yesterday, around 10:20, I got a call from Formative Years telling me that Myah was running (yes, in her sandals, again) and fell and got a cut above her left eye and that it was pretty deep and I needed to come look at it. Being a teacher, leaving work is never easy. I can't just come back later and put in my hours and finish up something. I HAVE to find someone or someones to cover my classes. Luckily, I work with some of my greatest friends and they were willing to each cover a class here and there until I could return, which didn't happen, so we called in a sub for the afternoon. Anyway....I called the clinic as soon as I got in the car. I hadn't even seen her cut yet, but I wasn't going to be the one to decide if she needed stitches or not! Dr. Smith took one look at her and said, "Yep! She needs stitches" Glue wasn't an option because of the angle of the gash and the depth of the gash. For the next fifteen minutes, I donned a plastic glove and held gauze full of numbing gel on Myah's forehead. Once in the treatment room, they gave her more anesthetic (with a needle this time) and this yielded the first tears I had seen from my tough girl! She didn't whimper in pain and didn't really wiggle, she just let two little tears fall and stared into my eyes as I told her things were going to be alright. Soon after, the little princess fell asleep as Dr. Smith "operated" on her, and I just about fell to the floor as I couldn't stomach what was being done to my baby. Seven stitches later (two below the skin, and five above) we were done and out of there and headed for the McDonald's drive through. My girls have only had an actual Happy Meal one other time in their life, and we usually get a medium fry for the four of us to share, so the Happy Meal all to herself was a HUGE treat and she knew it! She's doing great now, and doesn't complain about it at all. She hardly knows it's there.....she's way more concerned about the tiny scratch she got on her knee when she fell :) I know she looks really rough here....remember she doesn't like her picture taken on a perfect day, so on this not-so-perfect day, she was less than delighted!


We're needing to stay away from the park (and extra dust and dirt) for a few days with Myah's stitches. This wasn't really prescribed by the doctor, but by me, Dr. Mom! Haha. Today we went to visit my friend Courtney and her 11 week old daugther Aliyah....I told you we are getting baby fever around here!


We rounded out the night with a little dip in our backyard pool. The new aquatic center doesn't open until Saturday, and we won't get there until one evening next week. Check out our new swimsuits....I couldn't find any that were similar, but different colors (until I picked out their birthday gift from Aunt Kiki....more on that later!) so we got the same one!

3 comments:

  1. I am about to cry because of this post and the pictures! the girls are so cute and BIG. I can't believe it's been three weeks since I have seen them. I showed ric the pic of them swimming and he gave my phone a big kiss. can't wait for Sunday and then their birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 weeks!?!? No way! I guess the time has been going by faster that I thought! Can't wait to see you in a few days, aunt kiki!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YIKES! I haven't had to deal with stitches yet - and I have two boys :) I guess I know who to call when I have to go through it!

    ReplyDelete