Monday, October 17, 2011

The Laurie Berkner Band

On Sunday, Brandon and I had the enjoyment of taking Myah and Maysen to see the Laurie Berkner Band perform at the Hoyt Sherman Auditorium in Des Moines.  Here's part of how this opportunity came to be.  Back in 2007, when M&M were born, they received a Laurie Berkner DVD and CD combo from a good friend of the family as a baby gift.  When they were around 18 months old, I started putting in that DVD every morning while I got ready for work.  The girls danced and sang and just absolutely loved it.  In January, 2010, we took the girls to see Curious George Live!, and they did so well that I thought we should start doing more things like that with them.  I love musicals and plays and I want to expose the girls to those types of things as well.  Secretly, I really wanted to see Laurie Berkner in concert (you just can't help but clap and tap your feet when you listen to her music).  I went to her website and submitted a comment (or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5) that she could come to Des Moines or Minneapolis to perform.  Over the two years since then, I've received emails from some 'Events' thing that would tell me things like '4 other moms in your area requested Laurie Berkner.'  Finally, in late July, I got the email saying that she was actually going to come to Des Moines.  I was thrilled, and since I had made so many requests, I sort of had to take the girls to see her, besides I obviously really wanted to.
It was one heck of a show.  About and hour and 15 minutes long (perfect for kids 5 and under).  The girls were so happy and having so much fun that it brought tears to my eyes (yes, I'm a bit over emotional at times).  Brandon even said on the drive home "I had so much fun watching you girls.  It was worth every penny to see you so happy."  He turns to me and says "I guess that's what being a parent is all about, huh?!"  Before the concert was over they girls were up right in front of the stage gawking up at Laurie, jumping up and down, and singing at the top of their lungs.  The pictures turned out pretty dark, but still are worth sharing.
 Myah and Maysen holding their souvenir 'Shakey Eggs' for the song "I Know a Chicken."








Two things from this week that told us that we are definitely raising our kids right:

*While at the concert, the girls kept creeping up the aisle and getting closer to the stage (the place isn't any bigger than a high school auditorium, so it was just fine).  They kept looking back at us to be sure they could see us and that we could see them.  They even came back at least once to let us know that they were just 'right up there.'  They didn't just walk away without saying anything.

*I was having a conversation with Myah and Maysen about offering at church and Sunday School.  They told me that we had forgotten for a few weeks now, and I said that I would write myself a note from now on to remember that.  Myah speaks up and says 'I have a quarter in my purse.'  I replied, 'Oh, honey, that is really sweet of you.  You can give that quarter at SUnday School if you want to, or mommy and daddy can give you the money for it and you can save your own.'  She has decided to give her own quarter at offering next week.  Reminds me of the lady who didn't have much, but she gave all that she had.  That makes for one proud mama and daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment