Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Routines and Responsibilities

It might be summer vacation around here, but there's still a routine to our days.  Yes, I'm a control freak, and yes, I'm super organized, BUT it's a proven fact that people function best when they stick to their routines.
During the school year, Brandon is up and out the door by 6:15 leaving me with three kids (we are all usually still in bed) to get up, fed, dressed, and out the door by 7:20 so I can arrive at work no later than 7:45 (and this includes two different drop offs, touching base with teachers, etc).  We have to have a routine, or this doesn't happen.
Once summer comes, we still function on a routine, though it's not quite as strict.  It goes something like this:
--girls get up (usually between 7 and 7:30), and are allowed about 30-45 minutes of TV while they are waking up
--breakfast
--some kind of outside activity (riding bikes/scooters or walking around the block, going to the park, watering plants, yardwork)  if it's raining, we do puzzles or crafts.  This is also when a household task (or two) gets done (laundry, emptying the dishwasher, vacuuming)
--lunch (30 minutes of TV while I'm getting lunch ready)
--nap about every-other day for M&M
--afternoon activity (pool, library, park, play outside)
--dinner
--evening activity (swimming lessons, play outside)
--baths/get ready for bed
--watch 45 minutes of TV before bed or play games until bed time
--8:30 bed time and read for about 20 minutes

Because we have a schedule/routine, the girls know what to expect each day.  There is little time for them to get bored and watch needless TV.  Television is more special this way and they really think about what it is they want to watch.  On top of these routines, the girls also have a chore chart for each day.

I edited it a little to meet our needs.  The jobs are:
Make Bed
Exercise (was take a bath)
Comb Hair
Clear the Table (was brush teeth)
Pick Up Toys
Be Happy

I changed 'take a bath' and 'brush teeth' because those are things that we usually still have to help the girls with, and I wanted their chores to be things that they can do on their own.  Now, instead of nagging them to do things around the house, I simply tell them to go and check their chore chart.  They are proud to get to cross off their tasks each day.  If I ask them to help do something extra, I usually give them a sticker (yes, these are still motivating when you are 5!) for helping me.  Especially when it involved cleaning up a mess that Mylie made.

Sometimes I under estimate the things my girls are capable of doing, and other times I know I have really high expectations of them.  It's hard to know exactly what to request of them, but most of the time, they surpass my expectations.  If you have kids, hopefully this gives you an idea of how to keep routines even in the summer.

What are some things you do to keep consistency for your kids once school lets out for the summer?

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff! I am totally with ya on the routine!! We keep a pretty consistent schedule as well and I have found it really helps! Naps are pretty much out around here, but reading/rest time is in. I make the girls spend at least one hour in their rooms...preferably in their bed...by themselves. I know they sneak a little and end up playing quietly together. I find the down time during the afternoon so important to fun and relaxing evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. every wednesday morning, eric leaves for Bible study while Roo and i are still in bed. some days it makes me anxious...but i am so proud of myself when i've successfully gotten us both up, fed, dressed and ready to go! :)

    ReplyDelete