Monday, June 25, 2012

Summer Vacation Recap--Week 4

Warning: We were so busy this week I didn't get any pictures!


Sunday, June 17--A wonderful Father's Day it was!  My parents were in town and we went for lunch at Dublin Bay followed by a DQ Blizzard Cake at our house--per Brandon's request.  A nap for all 5 of us was in order as we head into another busy week.  Our backyard neighbors' kids (William and Ella) came over to play while their parents went out for date night.  5 kids makes for a crazy household, but our kids play so well together so it went smoothly.

Monday, June 18--Happy 7th Anniversary to Brandon and myself!  Right away in the morning, my van didn't start so Brandon called his dad, and he thought the starter was going out.  Luckily, we turned the engine over the phone for a repair service here in Ames, and they said it sounded like the battery was dead.  We 'jumped' the van with Brandon's car and were good to go!  The girls and I spent the morning at vacation bible school.  The theme this year is Operation Overboard and we've been listening to the songs in the car for a week :)  After Mylie's nap, we went down to Huxley to my friend Anne's pool.  She has two daughters (Emma and Lainey) who the girls love to play with.  It was a great pool day and we were joined by Heidi and Beckett!  We sure will miss the Speers when they move to Cedar Rapids later this summer :(

Tuesday, June 19-- Brandon spent the morning at grad class in Des Moines; Myah, Maysen and I went to bible school; and Mylie spent the morning with Karman (one of our wonderful babysitters).  The plan was for me to pick up Mylie and then we'd head to the library for K-Club, but once we were home, the van wouldn't start again.  I called Brandon on his was home from class and he stopped to buy a new battery for the van.  We'll take an $80 battery over a several hundred dollar starter any day!  Nap time was had by all and followed by swimming lessons in the evening.

Wednesday, June 20--Off to VBS again.  Mylie spent the day at Sue's.  After lunch, the girls and I headed to the Big Bucket for a few hours.  I finished a book while they swam and then we all went around the lazy river a few times--something we can only do when Mylie isn't with us.  Of course we couldn't make it through the day without something not working correctly.  This time it was our high speed modem, which is in high demand right now with Brandon's grad class so he was off to Best Buy to get us a new one!  It's always something!!!

Thursday, June 21--Today was our busiest day of the week!  Bible school again in the morning and then attempted our plan from Tuesday.  I came back home to get Brandon and Mylie (yeah! van has been working great since getting a new battery) and we drove through McDonalds for lunch (mom of the year award here--haha--but we don't do it as often as we have in summers past!).  Spent about an hour at the library.  Myah and Maysen went to the K-Club program and learned about nocturnal animals and made owl puppets.  Brandon and I sat in the kid's section while Mylie played with the toys and kids there.  We checked out a few movies (FREE!!).  I got "The Help" since I finally finished the book (and finished one on Wednesday since!!).  After naps, the girls had swimming lessons and then a Vacation Bible School celebration/Ice Cream Social.  We didn't get home until about 7:30--Mylie's bed time!  Brandon's friend Mike Tierney (an usher from our wedding) is moving back to the Ames area and was in town to complete some paper work so they went to the late show at the dollar theater.  I think they saw "Battleship."  Thank goodness he has friends to go to those shows with:)

Friday, June 22--Last day of VBS (it sure wore me out!!).  We went out for lunch at Hickory Park as a late anniversary celebration.  It was delicious......we went all out with cheeseballs, full meals, AND of course ice cream--who can resist there?!?!  After Mylie's nap, I took all three girls to the big bucket for about an hour and a half.  After supper, we spent about 30 minutes playing outside---I take extra measures to be sure they're ready for bed time :)

Saturday, June 23--Did you notice anything missing this week?  I didn't have time (or the energy) to run even once!  SO....I got up and ran 7 miles with the Vardo Running Group here in Ames.  Many of them got started with running with the Team 12.4 (Dam to Dam Training) like I did and they run every Tuesday evening and Saturday morning, which is what I need to keep me going if I'm actually going to do the High Trestle Trail Half Marathon and/or the Des Moines Half Marathon in October!  I took the girls to the Ames Main Street Farmer's Market.  We'd never been there before, and wanted to scope it out.  Luckily for us, Dutch Oven Bakery had Dutch Letters on special for 6 for $6 (6 are regularly $13.50) so of course I got 12!  There were so many fresh vegetables, I think I'll go back sometime in July when we aren't going to be gone a lot the following week.  The weather didn't really cooperate for us to go to the pool, but we entertained ourselves anyway.  Our wonderful friend (and babysitter) Mallorie King came over for supper and to get some laundry done.  It's always fun to see her!

No comments:

Post a Comment