Saturday, September 25, 2010

I am 30.......I am Loved!

It's not too often that I blog about myself, and not my children. So here I am....tooting my own horn for once....and I don't feel one bit guilty about it!
Of course, it hasn't taken me 30 years to know that I am loved, I've always known it. However, it was on my 30th birthday that I truly realized that I am who I am because of the people I surround myself with. They really are amazing people!!
On the morning of my birthday, I received these beautiful flowers from my parents.

That right there gives you an idea of what wonderful parents I have. I was their first-born, the one who made them parents. Those of us who have children know what that feels like. You experience every emotion from the get-go. Happiness, exhaustion, excitement, nervousness, confidence, and feeling like you know absolutely nothing about being a parent and raising a child. Nonetheless, they did a fabulous job of raising me. I have never felt anything besides love and pride from my parents. They were at EVERY sporting event, music concert, and dance recital. My sister, brother, and I were/are the center of their universe. Everything they did was for us and because of us. I know this is why my world now revolves around my children. I rarely take time for myself (more on this below) and it's because I'd rather put all of my energy into my children and family.
I received a text from my dad on my birthday telling me how proud he is of me and what I've accomplished as a wife, mother and teacher. Of course I cried. I cried because those are the most powerful words you can ever hear from a parent, in my opinion. The Sunday before my birthday, my dad and I briefly read an article in a newspaper about 20 things to do in your 30's. I was shocked at how many of them I had already accomplished. Buy a House (check! 2005), Start a Family (check! 2007), Further your Education (Check! 2010-graduated with my Master's Degree). There were several more that I'd accomplished, as well as several that I will try to work towards. But, I think this also shows what kids of parents and role models I have. They are people who do things! They don't sit around and wait for things to happen, they make things happen! They encourage their children to always do their best and believe that they will do great things!

Brandon had asked several times if I wanted a party for my birthday. Of course, I didn't. I mean, I really didn't. Because Brandon had grad class the night of my birthday, we went out to eat as a family on Monday night. We went to Applebees and it was great. Brandon and the girls got me a gift certificate for a massage and pedicure......what more could a mama ask for? Some personal pampering time?? Just what I need! These three VIPs make me feel special, worthwhile, and valuable every single day.

My sister asked if I was going to do anything special for my birthday. I didn't really want to as I don't especially like being the center of attention. She did talk me into a birthday dinner, though, which in hind-sight, was exactly what I needed, and deep down wanted! My friend Mary is always saying that women don't take enough time for themselves. That we always put others first and leave ourselves for last. I already told you that I'm one of those people, and normally, I wouldn't have it any other way. On this night, though, I enjoyed being the center of attention and being surrounded by many of the awesome women in my life.

Front Row: Julie, Heather, Kelsey, Anne, Lisa
Back Row: Mary, Kim, Kari, Jess, Tonja, Rebecca, Heidi

We went out to eat at Legends. We laughed, we cried, we talked, we joked. At the end of the night, I was so overwhelmed. I had given Kelsey 10 names of friends who live in the area to invite to dinner, and all 10 of them came! ALL 10!! I couldn't believe it. I mean, I know they are great people, but for ALL of them to take the time away from their husbands, kids, activities, etc for the night to come and celebrate me, is pretty darn awesome! Hence the fact, that I have finally realized my Amazingness because of these Amazing Women! (I linked to the blogs that these wonderful women do so you can experience their amazingness!)
I certainly wasn't expecting gifts....but they brought them anyway. Gift certificates for the spa (more "me" time!), books by my favorite authors, games, plaques with words of wisdom, scarves. And have I mentioned yet that I have this totally Amazing and Awesome sister!? She made me a Tribute Photo Book that makes me cry every time I just look at the cover. It's filled with pictures of friends and family, and words of inspiration, encouragement, and proof of how much I am LOVED! I could go on and on, but you really have to see it to believe it. Kelsey is my best friend and I'm even luckier that she's also my sister. God chose her for me because he apparently thought that I deserve the absolute best sister in the world. I cherish her friendship everyday. I know that there are sisters who aren't as close as we are and I try to never take my sister for granted because of this.

I also want to mention that there are several other amazing people in my life who don't live in the same town as me and weren't there to celebrate (in no particular order)......cole, eric, jen, meg, nana (bessa), kelly, jill, kim, michelle, stacy, aunt joan, grotewold and christianson cousins, grandma dorothy, numerous aunts and uncles, sarah, heather, jackie, donna, jamie......I know there is going to be someone I forgot, but I surely didn't mean to. Just goes to prove that I'm surrounded by awesomeness!

Are you surrounded by as many amazing people as I am? Then you are loved, too!

Thank you Eric for watching the girls so I could have this wonderful experience! I look forward to hearing your stories. Read about Eric's babysitting adventure here.

Extra credit: How many times did I say awesome and amazing in this post?
Dessert!!

1 comment:

  1. yay! love you! there's no greater friend than a sister, and there's no better sister than YOU. :)

    ReplyDelete