Sunday, July 29, 2012

Summer Vacation Recap--Week 9

Sunday, July 22--It's going to be a crazy-busy week!  Today, we had a playdate with the Streeter boys and their mom, Sarah.  Sarah and I met as next-door neighbors at UNI.  She lives in Des Moines with her family so we are lucky to get together a couple of times a year.  They traveled to Ames for an early playdate at Reiman Gardens.  The theme is year is "Nature Connects" and they have several nature inspired sculptures built entirely out of LEGOS.  It was really neat!









  Though we went early, it still warmed up and wore everyone out so after lunch, my girls and I headed home for a nap followed by 2 hours at the Big Bucket.  After supper, we went to Aspen Leaf for a fro-yo treat.  We had a full rewards card as well as $1 off of our purchase....can't pass when you get a great deal from coupons!

Monday, July 23--The girls and I headed to HyVee for the weekly grocery trip at 7:30 am as Brandon was heading out the door to the Jasper County Fair to work concessions to benefit/fundraise for the Colfax/Mingo basketball program.  At 10:00, we headed to the library for the last K-Club program of the summer.  The theme was camping. Here's Maysen making her camping snack mix.
While the older two were there, I took Mylie to the Toddler Time program and then to play with the toys in the children's section.

Shakin' her booty....too cute!!

 We went for lunch at Subway to use M&M's coupons for free apple slices and cookies that they earned from the summer reading program.  From 1-5 M-F this week, M&M are attending a Summer Olympics camp through the Park and Rec department.  It was only $49 for the entire week (20 hours!).  Due to the heat today (105 degrees) they decided to hold the camp indoors at the Ice Arena instead of outside at Inis Grove Park as originally planned.  The girls got to ice skate, make a craft Olympic torch, and have a snack.  They had a great time!

Tuesday, July 24--It was already 86 degrees at 9:00 so I took Mylie for a 3 mile walk in the stroller instead of doing any running.  I also power washed the trash can in the garage with bleach......diapers + this heat=rotten smells!!  We pretty much bummed around the house the rest of the morning before heading to M&M's day camp.  Today it was held indoors at the High School Gym and Pool since it was so hot outside again.  After supper, we made a quick trip to Target and to the DQ for blizzards.

Wednesday, July 25--The girls and I made Pink Lemonade cookies (Pillsbury) this morning....can't wait to try them!!

  I took the girls to the chiropractor for the first time today.  Afterwards, I dropped them back off at home with Brandon.  Since this is the only day that he didn't have anything going on, I took a little time for myself.  The heat was still strong so I went to the big bucket (by myself!) and did some water walking in the lazy river.  From 11-1, it's open so that you can walk against (or along with) the current.  It's a fabulous leg workout and it's refreshing at the same time.  I got home around 2 and Mylie was fighting her nap so I got her to lie down in my bed with me and we slept for an hour and a half.  Time to myself AND a nap....does it get much better??  I picked up the girls from camp (Brandon had dropped them off) and we had taco salads for supper followed by baths, and a movie with popcorn!

Thursday, July 26--Brandon had to leave the house early for the Drake Basketball Camp.  Don't tell him, but the girls slept in until 7:45.  I'm pretty sure that's the latest they've slept all summer and he wasn't here to enjoy it.  Us four girls went up to my classroom for about an hour so I could start getting some of my things out and deciding where they should go.  I moved to a different classroom (down and across the hall a few doors) since it has three whiteboards in it and I needed a change of scenery.  The girls begged for HyVee Chinese for lunch, and who was I to say no since it's my favorite and we hadn't had it in forever!  The early part of the week was so hot, but today is had come down to a 'cool' 93....haha!  However, there was a nice breeze and camp was held outdoors today at Inis Grove Park, where it was supposed to be all week.  The girls came home hot and sweaty to it was bath time after supper of a (FREE!) Casey's Cheese Pizza and a  ($2 off) Garlic Chicken DeLite pizza from Papa Murphys!  Once Mylie was in bed and the sun had gone down, I went for a 3 mile run.  It was a beautiful night to be out!

Friday, July 27--Up and at 'em again today!  The girls had a re-check at 8:30 at the chiropractor to see how they were holding their adjustment.  Then we went back to the middle school for about 45 minutes for me to organize a few things followed by a quick trip to HyVee to get some fruit for lunch.  At 11:45, we joined the Geisler's at the Story County Conservation Center for a Naturalist Lunchbox lunch.  We pack sack lunches for the kids, and we go eat at the park by the conservation center for a lesson on animals.  Today's featured animal was the frog.  We also got to see tadpoles, salamanders, and crawfish.  There were games and crafts as well centered around the theme of the day.  There have been 4 or 5 of these throughout the summer--today being the last one--but this is the first one we've made it to.  It was fun and interesting so we hope to make more of them next summer. 



 At 1:00, I dropped the girls off for their last day of camp.  They got to meet at the Big Bucket....for four hours....they were exhausted!!!  Mylie and I headed there for about an hour and a half after nap time so we all got a little sun and water today.  We rounded out the evening with the opening ceremony of the Olympics.

Saturday, July 28--Most of the day was spent indoors and watching the olympics due to the fact that it sprinkled and rained.  Brandon had basketball camp so it was just me and the girls.  We made cookies, had a nap, and anticipated Nana and Papa's arrival in the afternoon.

We tried Papa's Pizzeria in Polk City for supper.....it was a great meeting point for us and Kelsey's family.  More Olympics watching before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment