Sunday, August 5, 2012

Summer Vacation Recap--Week 10

Sunday, July 29--Brandon got up (not quite as early) for his last day of basketball camps.....finally!  Remember my parents had stayed over night the night before......we went for an early lunch at Noodles and Company and then went to the Big Bucket to show off our swimming skills to Nana and Papa.  This made for some tired girls and some good afternoon naps!  We spent a lot of the early evening watching the Olympics and doing the weekly grocery shopping.  Brandon took the girls for a ride around the block before baths.  We had a great weekend!

Monday, July 30--My morning began with folding laundry and emptying the dishwasher.....you know, the fun stuff!  Then a 3 mile run to clear my mind for the day before I went to the chiropractor.  I have a lot of tension in my neck and mid back (three kids, teaching and on my feet most of the day, running, etc have contributed to this.).  It's not painful that often, just tight, but I do have some twisting in my vertebrae that play a factor.  William and Ella came over to help make some cookies for dessert after dinner (their family joined us for our monthly meal together at our house).  The three girls and I went to the Big Bucket to beat the heat (96+ degrees!) and then a trip to the book mobile for new books and movies for the next week.  The girls had finished path #4 on the summer reading program so they got to choose a new book, which is always fun.

Tuesday, July 31--It's the last day of July, folks!!  I emptied the dishwasher first thing, again, and then headed out for a 3 mile walk.  This time, I had all three girls with me.  My plan was to push Mylie in the stroller and the other two wanted to join me.  They each walked a total of 2 miles--they each got to ride for half a mile in the second and third miles.  After they were rehydrated, Brandon took them outside to practice dribbling on the patio.   I also took a box of baby clothes (after Kelsey took what she wanted) to a local consignment shop to see what I can sell.  A garage sale is too much work, but this is worth a try.  I can't believe how good of shape some of our stuff is in!  The Olympics seem to be on our TV most of the day, but often no one is really watching anything.  We like to have it on so we can check in and make sure we see the events we want to see.  I went back to the chiropractor to hear the results of my examination the day before and then the heat was back so the Big Bucket was in order.  All 5 of us needed a good cool down. We went to Pancheros for supper after swimming-----we had two full punch cards for free quesadillas.  It's hard to resist Cold Stone next door so we headed over there.  Myah had a free kid's dish coupon from the summer reading program and we also had a 2 for $5 coupon so we did pretty well price wise.  We've been fully enjoying our summer vacation with frequent trips out for ice cream!

Wednesday, August 1--Our wonderful cleaning gal came this morning.  I'm so fortunate to have someone clean my house.  It's something I don't have to spend time doing and because it allows me time with my kids when I'm home, it is worth every single penny!  While she was at our house, the five of us made a delivery to Goodwill, a trip to Target to get birthday presents for this weekend, and a stop at Hobby Lobby for some materials for a DIY project I hope to complete very soon.....stay tuned!  Once we got home, I made a nice balanced lunch for us, wrapped the birthday gifts, and made some appointments for the girls and I before school starts up in just 2.5 weeks!  Then it was off to the pool.  Home for supper and just chilled all evening.  It was nice to have kind of a productive day with no absolute places we had to be.

Thursday, August 2--Mylie went to Sue's since we had a few things scheduled for today and I want to keep her visiting there a few times this summer so I don't have to experience a week of tears when I go back to work.  I took advantage of the calm and quiet morning to be lazy (aka, not run) and finish #3 of the Hunger Games Series Mockingjay.  I had signed M&M up for Tot Time at Kil'n Time, the local paint-your-own pottery store.  They read a few books, had a snack and made a glass mosaic in honor of the meteor showers that are to take place later this month. 


They had a great time, but of course want to go back soon so they actually get to do the painting projects.  We met daddy for lunch at Noodles and Company (where they had this totally futuristic pop machine---I had just been there on Sunday and it wasn't there then)

 and dessert at Aspen leaf (don't tell Mylie!).  Ok, now I think we've made a few too many trips for ice cream/fro-yo this summer and the scale is starting to show it.  However, isn't that what summer is for?  Ugh.....I need to convince myself that it's ok and I will start eating better once school starts back up and training for the half-marathon begins next week!  After our chiropractor appointments, M&M and I went to the pool for a few hours before picking up Mylie.  Brandon went to the new Batman movie with his friend, Kevin, and the girls and I hung out at home for a quiet evening of baths and books.

Friday, August 3--I did get up and run 3 miles this morning, showered and made a quick trip to HyVee to get us through the weekend.  After lunch, Brandon took the big girls to the park to practice shooting baskets and I took Mylie up to the middle school so I could sort through some things since next week they will be waxing the floors and I won't be able to get into the building.  Around 3, we headed to Des Moines.  Stop number 1 was at Midwest Tile and Granite so we could pick out some granite for a new countertop for the kitchen as well as a new sink!  I'm sure excited.  We're also going to be putting in a tile backsplash.....it's going to look like an entirely new kitchen.  Pictures to come!  Stop number 2 (and our main reason for going) was to have supper with Kelsey, Eric and Rooney.  Eric grilled up some wonderful chicken breasts and corn on the cob.  We supplied the melon and Key Lime Cheesecake for dessert.

Saturday, August 4--I joined the Vardos for a 6.45 mile run this morning, which was harder than it should have been because I also ran on Friday.  I usually use Friday as a 'rest' day before longer runs on Saturday.  I interviewed a college gal to potentially be our 'sitter' for Myah and Maysen on Wednesday afternoon when they get out of school early.  I'm interviewing another on Sunday.  After doing a few jobs around the house, it was time for the busyness to begin!  Myah and Maysen had two birthday parties to attend.  They went to Macy's gymnastics party from 1:30-2:30 and had a wonderful time.  We wished we could have stayed longer because we hadn't seen them in so very long!  From 2:30-4:00, they went to Kyan's gymnastics party!  They were in different locations, but you better believe that with all that tumbling, swinging, jumping, and running, they were tired!




 Shortly after the second party, we all five loaded up and headed north to the Dows exit to meet my parents to.  Myah and Maysen are going to spend two nights with them without any parents.  They are thrilled.  This will only be the second and third nights that they will stay somewhere with out either Brandon of myself.  The only other one being about 6 weeks before Mylie was born and they stayed about 2 miles from our hotel with Kelsey and Eric.  As much as I don't like being away from them, it was a nice break for all of us and they got to be spoiled by Nana and Papa!!

No comments:

Post a Comment