Wednesday, October 6, 2010

When I grow up....

Brandon and I have noticed lately that M&M make many references to teachers. They are aware that Brandon and I are both teachers 1) because when we leave in the morning, we talk about how all of us are going to school and 2) because they have been to my classroom several times to help me get things ready for the next day/week/etc. However, what we didn't realize until recently is that they think everyone is a teacher when they grow up. Additionally, they have teachers at school, whom they LOVE!
Last week, during a car ride, Myah asked me about Aunt Kiki and where she goes to school. I explained to her that Kiki doesn't go to school and that she is grown-up and works. So, puzzled, Myah says....'she's not a teacher yet.' I replied, 'no, Kiki chose a different job, she's not a teacher, and she never will be.' Obviously it will be a few years before she can actually grasp the concept, but for now I think she still thinks that all grown-ups are teachers.
The girls' book order from school came in yesterday, and I had purchased a set of four books with accompanying CDs for them from the book order. Two are fall themed and the other two are 'everyday' titles. They refer to these as "teacher books," and these types of books are often their choices when we go to the bookmobile, so they are thrilled to have some of their very own at home. Last night, Brandon and I walked down the hall to find this:
Here, you see Myah being the teacher (see how she has the book turned outwards) and Maysen is being the student. When the CD made it's "brrrinnnggg" noise, Myah would turn the page. Then, they'd switch rolls for the next book, it was too sweet!
Our girls are very well behaved, but when we hear nothing (silence) we tend to get worried as they are usually up to mess making. Not this time! For at least 25 minutes, they sat and 'read' books to eachother. That was before showers, and they did it for another 15 minutes after their shower.
I think we have a couple of future teachers on our hands! Hopefully there's not such a surplus/budget crisis in 18 years!!!

3 comments:

  1. That's so sweet! I'm hoping for no more budget crisis NOW :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post for all sorts of reasons. You know kids don't just come sweet...their mommies have something to do with it! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, yes, i have seen them play teacher many times! and i'm glad they think about me when i'm not around :) love them soo much.

    ReplyDelete