Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Dear 14 year old Kari:

Middle school is just an awkward time. (Perhaps that's why you find your calling in dealing with middle schoolers each day...don't roll your eyes, you'll love it!) That braces, large-framed glasses and "mall bangs" combination you're sporting now will come back to haunt you :) Hopefully it will make you laugh, too, because you aren't alone!

Know that you are beautiful. Clear your head of thoughts like "I'm just not as pretty as so-and-so." "I'm just not as skinny as so-and-so." "I'm just not as athletic as so-and-so." Some of those so-and-sos grow up to have multiple issues that you aren't aware of at your age. Things you never have to deal with. Be happy.

Believe in yourself. Set goals. You are a goal chaser....always wanting the next bigger thing. You'll grow up to teach math (I said, don't roll your eyes) despite the fact your dad worked with you to learn your multiplication tables in one night because you weren't taking it upon yourself to get rid of that cheat sheet. You'll earn a Master's Degree (and "con" your husband into getting it along with you). You'll have ideas of striving for your National Board Certification, though I can't tell you how that turns out that this point.

You will be a wonderful mother (if I do say so myself). You work hard to raise disciplined, but very loved children who adore you. You will realize that the most important things in life are not things. Don't spend time, money or thoughts on things that are petty and dispensible. Just live day by day taking chances as they come so you don't live with many regrets.

Remember that I love you, and so do so many people. You are special just for being you.

Love,
Kari
(Age 30)

4 comments:

  1. Awwww. 14 year old Kari, you are gonna be amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a powerful message to share with someone at that age. I could share the same with my 14 year old self, but not sure he would listen at that age...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kari! You SHOULD be proud of all you've accomplished! I admire that. And, for what it's worth, I thought you were pretty great when you were 14. :)

    ReplyDelete