Monday, December 6, 2010

Holiday 'Baking'

Can you really call it baking if you never even turned on the oven? Of course you can....that's my favorite kind of 'baking!'
Tonight, the girls and I got a jump start on our holiday 'baking.' We made Peanut Clusters and Almond Bark with Fruity Cheerio Clumps (don't know the official name for them). Being the control freak that I am, I was a little hesitant about letting the girls do the scooping. You know, I would have them evenly spaced on the cookie sheet and all about the same size....but what fun is that?!?!? Being proud of myself (again!) I let them do all of the scooping (so they really did make the snacks themselves) and they turned out perfect! There are some of every size sure to please every snacker.

Of course, if you're going to attempt cooking with your kids, you have to be prepared for one of these:

Yep! Half a box of fruity cheerios on the floor. I was wondering why I felt God urging me to buy two boxes at HyVee today instead of only one, which I was sure would be enough. Good thing I listened to him! Poor Myah felt so bad about spilling the box. She shed many tears even though I didn't yell at all (I did have to count to ten and take a deep breath, but I didn't yell or get even a little mad). This is something that I would do myself as an adult so how could I really get mad at a three year old? Nothing was ruined or broken so it definitely is a 'small thing' that I'm learning to let go of.
Note: our almond bark snacks are safe to eat....all spilt cheerios made their way to the garbage :)

3 comments:

  1. oh, poor myah for spilling! when you said on the phone that there was spilled cereal, i didn't imagine this! but they are the most precious little things and i would gladly eat one of those peanut clusters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, girl! You and I both...learning to let it go! Cause in the scheme of things...does a little spill really matter. I will take your baking (and you BET it's baking...) and run with it... I am publicly vowing to be a more patient mommy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no use crying over spilt milk, or cereal. Your twinkies are so funny. Can't wait to see what kind of stories #3 will produce.

    ReplyDelete