Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Craftastic Day and My Seven Secrets

Heidi dubbed today "Craftastic" as she hosted 7 friends to her house for a craft party she called an {almost} homemade christmas. The event started with a delicious breakfast (egg dish, fruit, muffins and juice). Then we were off to the basement (aka, Rusty's Man-Cave, which he wasn't so sure he wanted used as a crafting station). I used a sewing machine today for the first time since high school. I was very hesitant at first, but loved it and got in the groove with just a few stitches. Here's a picture of my final projects (I tried not to get too close as some of you are getting my creations as gifts this holiday season). I made a:
1. Cake/Cookie Plate
2. Necklace
3. Scarf
4. Kids' Super Hero Cape
5. Magnetic Frame
6. Corn Heating Pad

The crafting didn't stop once I left Heidi's. In fact, the girls and I try to do a craft each weekend, and I didn't have one planned until I went to Heidi's and saw what she made with her niece and nephew. I modified the craft a little bit and made Rudolph t-shirts with M&M. The shirts are borderline too small (which is why they are perfect for this craft since they'll only be used the rest of this month). We put brown paint on the bottom of the girls' foot and put their foot print on the shirt. I then drew in antlers and will eventually sew black buttons on for the eyes and a red button for Rudolph's nose. Simple really, and cute. I can keep the shirts (labeled with names and year) or cut them out and frame the design for the future. Next weekend we're making Gingerbread houses.....check back then!!

I had my wedding ring Rhodium Plated and re-soddered this week so we had to make a quick trip to the mall to pick it up this afternoon. We had a Christmas gift to pick up there, too. Of course, the girls spotted Santa and wanted to see him. This wasn't in the plan, but the line only had 3 other kids in it, which shocked me for a Saturday, and since the picture with Santa at Santa's Castle didn't turn out, I agreed. Here are my elves (still in their jammies) with Santa. Nevermind the photographer's camera in the way.....I wasn't willing to pay their $11.65 today.


A while back, my sister (snappy casual) tagged me to share 7 secrets. I'm having a hard time coming up with them, but here's a try:
1. I love my children will all my heart and soul, but do not have the desire to ever be a stay-at-home-mom. Summer is great and I wouldn't trade that time home with my kids for the world. However, I do tend to miss the adult interaction and conversation that I am engaged in each day at work. Also, my girls have learned so much at their preschool, and I know that I could never have taught then everything they know had they been home with me.
2. I claim to not like chocolate. Actually, there are times when I crave chocolate, and absolutely love it. I love M&Ms and candy bars. However, the kind of chocolate that does not tempt me whatsoever are chocolate cake, brownies, chocolate ice cream, and chocolate milk.
3. I'm starting to get a little nervous about adding a third child to our family. I already love her so much and am also very excited to add her to our family. However, I'm nervous about my capabilities....members of my family call me super mom (I don't really know why), but I'm worried that I won't be able to be "super" and share myself with three kids. I know some families have more than 3 kids, and do just fine. I'm sure things will be fine for us as well, I just get overwhelmed sometimes. This is where my over-organized skills will need to come into play.
4. I wish I had more fashion sense, and cared more about stuff like that. I do enjoy to be trendy. I'm surrounded by some of the trendiest people ever and get jealous sometimes. Sometimes I blame it on being a 'larger size,' which I do think makes it hard to find trendy things, as well as having more bumps and curves to cover. I feel that today's fashions (besides necklaces and scarves) are made for stick-thin people.
5. I don't have the world's greatest self-confidence. It has improved greatly over the last 7 years since I met my husband (he is great at loving, supporting and encouraging me). I worry about passing that trait on to my children because I don't want them to struggle with self-image like I have. I also don't want them to have large egos----how do you find that happy medium and teach it to your kids??
6. I'm a control freak. My house, my job, my kids....everything. In three and a half years, I've only spent 2 nights away from my kids (both of those nights Brandon was home so they've nver gone all night with out at least one of us with them). Reason number 1: I love them so much and consider it my responsibility to be with them at all times. Reason number 2: I parent the way I parent, and don't feel that anyone else can do it the way I do (yet, definitely not claiming that 'my' way is perfect!). Deep down, I know it would be good for all of us to be apart for a night and that my children will live through it (I would be a complete wreck, but they would be just fine). I trust my family members to take care of my kids over night, but feel so guilty about it. I could write about this for days, but will leave it at that.
7. I teach math, but I haven't always been good at it. In 4th grade, my teacher gave us a multiplication table to use until we learned the facts. I took that as....you don't have to learn the facts, just use this. The night before the BIG TEST my teacher (who lives across the street) called my parents to inform them that she was pretty sure that I didn't know my facts. My dad and I sat up (for what seemed like all night) so that I could learn my facts. I did learn them, but would never recommend that learning strategy. Good thing I had involved parents who cared enough to take the time....thanks, mom and dad!! If I knew in 7th grade, which I know now (after teaching 7th grade for 7 years) I would really rock it!!

4 comments:

  1. #5- Ummm. I love you. You are crafty. capable. beautiful. loving. amazing. and blessed. You should really be proud of what God has given you. Wait... I'm bossing again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love those t-shirts you guys made! you are such a fun mom with all the crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, LOVE the reindeer... And I love that you do a craft each weekend. I love so much about you, Kari. And though I have never and probably won't be in the mom x 3 shoes...I will say that you'll rock it. You will. When baby girl #3 arrives, so will a whole bunch more love and awesomeness... There is no doubt, not one, in my mind. :) And feel free to send me any cute crafting ideas... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kari, thanks for sharing. Your blogs are so interesting and make me think! I can identify with #4, 5, and 6. Also, I'm a stay-at-home mom, but have left my son for a whole week with my parents already! (Not that I wanted to, but I think you're brave for sending them to daycare/preschool!) It makes me want to get together with you and chat... we really should try again soon! I like your craft ideas too. Enjoy the rest of your Advent season!

    ReplyDelete