Wednesday, March 16, 2011

1 Week Old

The concept of time continues to baffle me. Miss Mylie is already a week old (yesterday, actually). Thinking back to the week before she was born, I remember how it drug on. I was (more than) ready, her room was ready, Myah and Maysen were ready for her arrival. The days went by not any too fast, but finally the day came. Since then, the hours and days have flown by.

Our family has changed....but pretty seamlessly. No parents are perfect, no families are perfect, but our transition into a family of 5 has been pretty perfect. She perfectly fills a spot--a hole??--that we really didn't even know existed except for the fact that we longed for a third child. Perhaps it's the fact that we thrive on a schedule and consistency around this household...perhaps it's the fact that I don't have to go back to work until August and I'm totally relaxed and more go-with-the flow than I usually am. I feel like I have a little more time to 'play' with in the mornings....the girls can sleep a little longer before getting up and ready for school. We can read one more story before bedtime because it's ok if they don't get to bed until 8:45 instead of their ritual 8:30.

I don't doubt that if this was our first time around at parenthood, we'd be running around like chickens with our heads cut off. We'd be traumatized by the lack of sleep, and we'd be pulling out our hair with the lack of solutions to get her to stop crying. But really, this time seems like a piece of cake. We were broken-in pretty well with our twins....think double the feeding, double the crying, half the sleep.... When Mylie screamed (and I don't use this term often unless that what really happened) from 10:30-3:00 our first night home, we were mostly relaxed and even chuckled to eachother about it. It really wasn't a big deal. Sure, we felt sad that we couldn't make her happy, and we were worried that M&M would also wake up. But they didn't, and Mylie eventually calmed down and every night since has been great....at least from the viewpoint of having a newborn at home again. I'm not trying to downplay the craziness of being a parent, but since our first time around was with twins, this really seems pretty easy. It did help greatly that my parents came down this weekend to help us get settled. My dad repaired a broken drawer in M&M's room, vaccuumed the whole house, got us stocked up on groceries (including plenty of M&Ms (the candy) and ice cream!). It was just nice to have some extra Nana hands to hold the baby when I needed to be getting to other household chores that had been neglected by a week in the hospital. My brother and his girlfriend were also here to meet Mylie, but spent a lot of time entertaning the other two, which is always helpful as well....a heartfelt thank you to all of you! Your willingness to help is much appreciated!!

Myah and Maysen are the world's greatest big sisters. They have not shown one ounce of jealousy towards Mylie and they love her up every chance they get. They constantly want to know where she is and what she's doing. They love to watch her eat, get her diaper changed, and they absolutely cannot leave her alone when she's sleeping. I think once this girl can move, she's going to be invited right into the action that her sisters create....it's going to be awesome, baby! (it is March Madness this week, you know, so I had to throw that in for good measure).


Here's Mylie doing what she does best (when her sisters aren't around to disturb her). She doesn't like to sleep flat on her back (ie: she hates the pack-n-play, and her crib, and she rolls onto her side). She's a snuggler (likes to be held tight and up high on one's chest).


**A nurse at the hospital told me about a swing bed she bought for her son.....I called her up at the hospital today to get more information about it. It's called the Fisher Price Rock-N-Play Sleeper and we're headed to Target today to get one (thank you, grandma and grandpa for the gift card!). All of the reviews online are 5 stars and are consistent with what we need and are experiencing with her sleeping patterns. Of course, I would LOVE to sit and snuggle her all day, but that's just not practical all of the time.

**We are lucky to have dinner cooked for us tonight by my good friend, Tonja (aka Trevor's mom) so you'll have to wait until tomorrow for What's Cookin'! Enjoy that nice weather....and if you have a chance, get a few extra minutes of sleep for me :)

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Kari! She's so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved being able to sneak a peek at her in Target today :) What a beauty! Can't wait to come and snuggle her up...and catch up with you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these thoughts of yours. I'm so glad you're documenting! It was great to see you all on Tuesday. I was so impressed with Myah and Maysen. They seem to have adopted the "big sister" role whole-heartedly and are so sweet.

    Mylie is perfect and I am doing all I can to stay away. I know my husband and my home need my attention more than that little princess right now :) See you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete