Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What's Cookin' Wednesday

I went back to Weight Watchers last week. I like WW. It works. What I don't like is the mental block that I get thinking that I'm deprived of foods I like. I'm really not deprived at all, it's just that initial mental feeling that one gets when trying to lose weight. My goal is to lose 20 pounds by the time I go back to work next August. That's the last 10 pounds of baby weight...plus 10 more.

I'm a comfort food girl.....Chinese is my weakness! I also happen to love a good meatloaf. What!? It's Meatloaf, I know, but I like it and it's comfort food. I didn't know if I would want to spend my WW points on meatloaf so I built the recipe before I made it to see how much it was going to cost me. Only 5 points per serving!! Bring it on! I can handle that! Note: Because I'm a nursing mom, I get 50 points a day right now--5 points isn't that much! I would get 36 points a day if I wasn't nursing....still a good amount of points.

I've also gotten to experience being a Stay-At-Home-Mom since Mylie was born. This means I catch some good cooking shows or cooking segments on talk shows. Today's meatloaf is a conglomeration of recipes from my mom, friends, and cooking shows/segments.

What you'll need:
2 lb lean ground beef (I use 93% lean)
2 slices of bread-crumbled
1 egg
1/4 cup skim milk
Dash of Garlic Salt, Salt, Pepper
1 chopped onion
Splash of Worchestershire Sauce
Large squirt of ketchup (Technical, huh? These last two ingredients are via the cooking shows)
Ketchup (to spread on the top)

What you'll do:
1. Mix together ground beef and bread.

2. Add the rest of ingredients and mix well.

3. Press into loaf pan.


4. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Put ketchup on top of loaf for last 20 minutes or baking.


Bonus recipe:

Oven Roasted Butter Potatoes

What you'll need:
Potatoes
Olive Oil
Butter
Aluminum foil

What you'll do:
1. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and drizzle lightly with olive oil.

2. Slice potatoes to desired thickness and place on aluminum foil with three large dollops of butter.

3. Bake in oven with meatloaf for 1 hour.


What are some of your favorite comfort foods? Have you ever tried to lose weight? What was your biggest hang-up?

**Monday night we dyed Easter Eggs. M&M are so excited for Easter to come....they ask every day if it's Easter yet.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the meatloaf recipe! I haven't had it in forever.

    Also, your two little girls are not little anymore! They are like real, big girls! Ahh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it! Especially with Mylie around now, I realize how big they really are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! Planning on making it this weekend! Very excited to know the points value! Hope Mylie is sleeping longer for you!

    ReplyDelete