Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What's Cookin' Wednesday

As a working mom, one of the biggest frustrations I have each day/week is what to make for supper. After I've been at work all day the last thing I really want to do is come home and cook a meal. For years, Brandon and I would come home and stare at each other asking "What are we going to eat?" Most days we'd end up eating cereal, or 'scrounging' as we would call it, or we'd go out to eat. This gets really old and expensive.
When Myah and Maysen were little I was making something for them to eat, and a different something for Brandon and I. I hated it!! Now that we all eat the same thing, I've decided to be more organized in this part of my life (I'm organized every where else, but just couldn't get this act together).
I was hearing people on TV as well as my friends talk about making a menu. Personally, I thought that seemed a little outrageous....I mean, who wants to decide what they are going to eat on January 31 on January 1? Definitely not me. So I modified it and have started planning a week at a time.
On Sunday afternoon or evening, I sit down and evaluate the week. What nights are we going to be home? What are our favorite meals that I want to have in mind? What ingredients do I already have on hand? What's on sale this week? Then, I plan what we will eat for each night....usually just the main dish and then I find side dishes as I go. This routine has been especially important since Brandon started coaching and is gone most evenings.
We are usually all home on Monday and Wednesday nights (basketball games on Tuesday and Friday, M&M have dance on Thursdays) so I plan big family meals for those nights. I still serve the occasional fish stick, hotdog, can of spaghettios, and canned soup on the other nights, but give a mom a break will ya? I'm trying here!!
Anyway, I'd like to try a new series in this blog: 'What's Cookin' Wednesday?' I'll try to share what I'm cooking that day, and I'd love for you to share some of your favorite recipes with me! I'm always looking for new, EASY, recipes that are loved by my friends. I'm not really one to look in a cookbook and pick something out...I want something that's tried-and-true. Crockpot recipes are especially welcome.

Here's what I'm serving tonight:

PIZZA SOUP!
Ingredients:
1.5 pounds browned lean ground beef (I use 93% or 95% lean)
1 large jar of spaghetti sauce (I use Ragu Chunky Mushroom)
3 cans tomato soup
1 can water
1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
Mini Pepperonis (as few/many as you'd like)
Sliced Mushrooms (fresh are best, but canned work, too)

Mix together in the crockpot (I do it the night before). Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Top with shredded cheese and Fritos! (You could use saltine/oyster crackers instead, but give the Fritos a try.....I'll bet that's what your kids prefer!)

Note: you can add anything that you'd like on pizza (green pepper, onion, sausage, etc)

Beware: of the mess the melted cheese can make on your spoon :)

This is a hit at my house, and a good alternative to chili. I like to eat chili, but have a hard time making it because I never know what to add or how much of it to add. I have to admit, I am a cook that pretty much abides by a recipe.

What's cookin' at your house tonight??

2 comments:

  1. we were supposed to make tacos tonight. but our ground beef had gone bad. have you ever smelled bad ground beef? it was the worst smell i've ever experienced.

    maybe next week i can contribute more? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have ever smelled bad ground beef...what a bummer especially since it can be so expensive!

    ReplyDelete