Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What's Cookin' Wednesday

Things are cookin’ again here at the Smith household. I actually have dinner plans tonight with my girlfriends from work (we’re going to La Fuente!!) so Brandon will be in charge of dinner for tonight! However, I’m preparing a crockpot meal tonight that I can plug in tomorrow to have ready after B gets home from basketball practice and the girls and I get home from dance. We’re having Sloppy Joes! The recipe I use is from the Asbury United Methodist Church (my hometown church) cookbook. Marilyn Castle (mother of my sweet friend Mandy (Castle) Schwarck) submitted the recipe and it’s the one my mom used as I was growing up. Speaking of Mandy, she’s the one who offered to design the new blog header (coming soon)! Don’t I have the greatest (and most talented!) friends!?!?
Anyway….here’s the recipe of what’s cookin’ at my house……what’s cookin’ at yours??

Barbecue Hamburger (Sloppy Joes)

2 lb Lean Hamburger (I use 93-95% lean)
1 Medium Onion, chopped
1 T. Vinegar
1 T. Worchestershire Sauce
½ tsp. Dry Mustard
4 T. Brown Sugar
½ cup Ketchup
2 T. Lemon Juice
½ cup Water

Brown Hamburger and onion; drain. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer 1 hour.

Note: I’m going to brown the hamburger and mix with remaining ingredients and chill over night. I will then plug in my crockpot tomorrow for a few hours so the meat will be ready as we arrive home in shifts :)

3 comments:

  1. Genius! Good job thinking ahead (not my strength). I just told Eric the other day that I wanted to make these soon. I do not usually put it in the crock pot, but that is a great idea.

    And I can't wait to see your new blog header! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It worked really well in the crockpot! About 2 1/2 hours on high.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to trying this recipe! What a great idea sharing recipes... I always looking for new ideas!

    ReplyDelete